Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Blog Post Assignment 2

          The Did You Know? 3.0 video by Karl Fisch was a lot in information to take in, but interesting. The population of the world is growing more and more, along with a strong desire to know more information about anything and everything. The fact that by 2049, we will have a $1000 computer that has more brain compatibilty than all of humanity, may scare some of our our generation, but intrigue the next.
          I think that the video taught me many statistics about the world today, but it was a bit scary to know all of those statistics in a little less than 5 minutes. Countries like China and India are pushing their children to be smarter and smarter, so shouldn't the United States be doing the same? Our country was not in the better half of these statistics. English is not the main Chinese language, but it is soon to be the number one English speaking country. Why is that? It is because so many other countries teach their children to be bilingual and in turn, more cultural and worldly. This fact made me think the most. Why can't our students be taught at a young age another language in school? I'm sure over half of the students in America cannot speak any other  language. And if they do, they are from a family that is not primarily a English speaking family. What would it hurt for our students to learn a new language besides making public school systems budget a bit tighter?
           The video, Mr. Winkle Wakes, by Matthew Needleman  represented well how much things change over time, and how some things do not. Just in the past 100 years we have so many new and innovative things men and women get to use in the work place. I think I speak for others from this generation, when I say that printing things out fast, and using computers and the internet, is something that is already instilled in us from school and at home. Maybe we just take the technology that is so easily available to us for granted, but it is almost second nature these days to Google something, or print something out from class from the internet.
          Mr. Winkle Wakes seems to tell us that over the past 100 years, everything has changed, except for schools. The message I got from the video is that if adults are using technology in their offices and hospitals, then it is imperative that the students learn the same technology as well. To me, the video is showing a world that is not only unrealistic, but off balance. Teachers are required to teach children how to properly use todays technology so they will be functional in society when they get jobs of their own someday. Thats why elementary schools have computer classes. Although the video to me, sent a good message, if Mr. Winkle really were to wake 100 years later, in my opinion, he would have seen a totally different classroom then the video showed.
         The Importance of Creativity video opened up my eyes to how society forces us to do, and learn things a certain way. I really liked when Sir Robinson said, "We don't grow into creativity, we grow out." With education comes a downside. As educated adults we are already taught certain ways to learn and do things. When children wants to branch out, and explore their creativity in school they cannot because we we're already told to learn a certain way, and teach a certain way. Its not the teachers fault, they have requirements they have to fill as well. If a child wants to dance or learn to sing, it is obviously not that easy to just create a dance class in a public school. So is it up to the parents to enroll their child in dance class?
         Not enough creativity in schools is just one of the many social problems the world has to deal with. Maybe as future teachers we can learn to modify the way we teach in order to bring out creativity in our students, but it is my belief that public schools will never just change their whole educational structure in order to benefit students, whether the change is good or not. Change is something that has to gradually occur over time. The video did however, make me want to protect whatever creativity my students do have. If  a child wants to be a dancer, or an artist, then I can't shun them for their dreams.
         Watching Harness Your Students' Digital Smarts made me wish a class like Ms. Vicki's had been available to me in high school. I think it is so wonderful that high school students can connect with people around the world, and broaden their knowledge of technology.
         Not only did it seem these students were learning everything I am learning now in EDM 310, they enjoyed it. To them it didn't seem like regular school work. They didn't have to sit at a desk all day and write notes, so everything was new and interesting. One of the things I wished my teachers in public school had taught me early, was to think on my own. I am in my third year of college, and I am just now grasping how to be an independent thinker. These students have a new zest for learning, which I'm sure will lead to them doing well, and being prepared for college. Ms. Vicki also mentioned that she still met the required curriculum, but just modified it so her students would grasp things better. That is something I hope I will be able to accomplish when I am teaching. Showing ones students how to learn, and learn on their own is one of the most important things a teacher can teach.

10 comments:

  1. Allie,

    First off, I would like to agree with you about the United States not pushing our children. There are other countries that are more intelligent than us. I think the U.S. has an arrogant mentality. "We" think we are better than everyone else. I think this would be considered the White Man's Domination. We want to control everyone and everything. However, you have to consider the population difference with China and the U.S. China is much larger than America; therefore, it will appear that they are smarter.

    Second, I noticed that you said classrooms have changed over time, and if Mr. Winkle would wake 100 years, he would have seen a different classroom than depicted in the movie. I must say that I completely disagree with you. You said farther down in your post that you wish Mrs. Vicki's classroom would have been available to you in high school. Obviously, there is a huge difference between the school you attended and the school Mrs. Vicki teaches at. She incorporates all different types of technology in her classroom. Her students are connecting with people all over the world, and her students are independent learners. I doubt you encountered any of this in your classroom. I know for sure that I didn't. Yes, my teachers had smartboards and used powerpoints, and the classroom in the video did not. I, however, don't think we could say that this is a big difference. There are so many resources and tools that are out there that many teachers have no idea exist. The majority of schools are operating like schools 100 years ago. Teachers are still lecturing, while students sit quietly in their desks taking notes. Were Mrs. Vicki's students doing this? No, they weren't. There are only a few teachers like Mrs. Vicki around here; therefore, I don't think your statement is valid. Students could be making podcasts, movies, and Google Earth tours. They could be writing blogs, following teachers and students all over the world, and finding information on their own. You will do all of this in EDM 310, and hopefully, you will incorporate these things into your classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jamie Lynn,
    Maybe I took the video too literal when he was saying the classroom had an old dusty computer they never used. I was thinking more along the lines of since we do use powerpoints and smartboards, even if it is not as often as some would like, things have changed. Even if just a little.

    I definitely did not encounter anything like Ms. Vicki's classroom in high school but I wish I did. I guess people, including myself, don't think of how many schools actually do not use the technology available to them,and still do things the old fashion way. Do you personally think that is the school systems problem or the teachers for not using newer technology or any for that matter? Already coming from EDM 310, do you plan to use everything you learned in your classroom, as well as explore for new ways as the years go on? I hope to be the kind of teacher Mrs. Vicki is one day as far as finding new ways to use things in my classroom. Maybe I can even help change the minds of some teachers who still operate the old way since I came from EDM 310.

    Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog. I'm glad you showed me a different perspective. I really appreciate some educated feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allie,

    You are right by saying that many people don't think about all the schools that don't use technology available to them. My friend John was just telling me about this elementary school that has 30 computers that are just sitting in a dusty basement. Students could be using these computers to enhance their education.

    I personally think that it is a mixture between the school system and the teachers. Many schools don't have the funding to provide technology for their students. There are also teachers out there that are refusing to change their traditional ways. They don't want to learn new things because they are comfortable with their style of teaching. It makes me more mad when the teachers don't care about using technology because this is the way our generation learns.

    I will definitely use the things that I learned in EDM 310 in my classroom. This class is what has made me even more excited about teaching. I learned so much from Dr. Strange, and I cannot wait to use these tools. Of course I will continue to explore new ways to use technology. As teachers, we also have to be learners. This is one reason why I am now working for EDM 310. I love finding new resources, and in return, teaching other people how to use them. I teach Dr. Strange new things all the time. It is a constant collaboration.

    If you truly desire to be a teacher like Mrs. Vicki, you certainly have the capability to do so. We will encourage you along the way, and you can really learn a lot from EDM 310. This class completely changed my perspective on education, and I will never go back. I do still value core things in education, especially paper books; however, I have to use technology in my classroom to truly reach my students.

    Karl Fisch writes "If a teacher today is not technologically literate - and is unwilling to make the effort to learn more - it's equivalent to a teacher 30 years ago who didn't know how to read and write."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I also wanted to correct myself about the White Man's Domination... I was thinking of the White Man's Burden. WASPs [White Anglo-Saxon Protestant] felt it was their need to impart their culture on non-whites. It is quite interesting, and I think that some Americans may still have this mindset. I guess I shouldn't have referred to the United States as a whole.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jamie Lynn,

    Wow that astounds me! There are just so many factors people don't think about, but 30 computers? That is horrible!

    Yes I remember my senior year in high school they started putting smartboards in the classroom, and teachers had no idea what they were or all the things they could do with them. I'm sure they had some kind of class on how to use them, but most of them just let them get dusty, and it really is a shame. I guess it's all just a viscous cycle and we all have to give a little extra in order to make things better. I love the quote! I'm going to have to write that one down!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Allie,

    Yeah, it is horrible! I know a lot of schools doing the same things. Teachers just don't want to take time to learn new tools. It is sad, but soon, we will be running the schools! I can't wait! I'm glad you loved the quote. You will be reading about Karl Fisch later into the semester. He has a lot of great ideas! I'm glad you are understanding the lack of technology better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two comments.
    1. I love the conversation and debate. That is what we should be doing all the time. Pushing, probing, thinking and reconsidering. 2. Smart boards and powerpoint presentations absolutely are not enough as you Allie will come to see in EDM310. Believing that they are is a major reason we are doing such a poor job in educating or students.

    Keep up the debates and learning. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved the post and found it very interesting. I like when you said, "Everything has changed, except for schools". Many things have changed and will continue to change in that matter. Technology will get more and moe advanced, but i think we as teachers should stay on beat with the updates as much as possible. But overall Great Job!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I'm Mathew Needleman, the creator of Mr. Winkle Wakes. I enjoyed your post and the discussion that followed.

    One thing I would point out is that a lot of technology use in schools is not transformative i.e. a SMARTBoard sometimes just replaces an overhead projector and does little to change education or students no longer use flashcards, they go to a computer to play flash-based drill and kill games. Again, while a computer is being used, its use really doesn't change the structure of education...it's more business as usual.

    Blogging, podcasting, and other content creation tools provide authentic audiences for student writing and often have a life beyond the classroom's four walls.

    Best of luck in your future teaching career.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will definitely echo Matthew's remarks. Another thing to think about is how schools tend to separate the world into two spheres, school and outside of school.

    When my students are outside of school they have access to smart phones, computers with high speed internet access (although they may have to go to the public library to get it), and all the media that goes along with them. They can literally learn about anything outside of school they desire.

    Inside of school we limit student use of technology to the "computer class" where teachers that may or may not be aware of the incredible advancements that take place on a daily basis determine what students learn. Believe me when I tell you there are very few schools with a technology curriculum and very little incentive for the "computer teacher" to learn to teach anything more than Microsoft Office.

    School computer classes too often spend all their time teaching tools. Why should students be required to go outside of the school to use technology to learn and share and grow? We are so far behind....

    ReplyDelete